Ikiliko txondorra (Charcoal making at Ikili)
- Publisher: Ur Mara Elkartea. Alkiza (Gipuzkoa), 2010.
- Language: Basque
- Hardcover, 84 pages
- Dimensions: 297 x 240 mm
- ISBN: 978-84-614-1180-1
- Legal deposit: SS-768-2010
To have a look inside the book, make a single click on the picture and wait, please (page loading can be slow sometimes!)
And to see more pictures on the subject, clic here
Charcoal makers will not be seen any longer in the mountains of the Basque Country, unless for photographs. This photobook demonstrates it.
The photographies in the book were taken in 2009, in the village of Alkiza (Gipuzkoa), most of them next to the Ikilisagasti farmhouse. Under the initiative of Itxurain, Alkiza uztartzen (Itxurain, uniting Alkiza), a charcoal kiln was built there in May. It lasted one week steaming.
Although there are still in our villages competent charcoal makers, able to lift a kiln, fire it, and keep it alive and smoky for days, charcoal making, like many other professions, will appear in the list of jobs lost in the 20th century in history books. With these pictures we would like to avoid those activities --and that living, in some way-- to be completely forgotten.
- Elkar bookshops (Bilbao, Donostia, Gasteiz and Iruñea).
- Bilintx. Errementari, 12 (Tolosa).
- Hontza. Okendo, 4 (Donostia).
- Aritz. Segundo Izpizua, 19 (Gros, Donostia).
- Garazi. Matia, 44 (Antigua, Donostia).
- Ivasfot. General Echagüe, 8 behea (Parte Zaharra, Donostia). You can read here a short mention and description of the book in Spanish.